[Healeys] Fron A-Arm bracket location

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 10:00:00 MDT 2011

Hi Mike,

I had a similar issue on my BN2, the front of the left rail just
before the shock tower was replaced and the front left mount welded mostly too
high.  To compensate and to get the camber right the rear left mount was
welded inboard.  The shock mount plate was welded a bit inboard as well.   The
camber and caster checked out fine but the problem surfaced when I started to
mount the front suspension and installed the spring, the spring pan did not
clear the frame as it did on the right side.

I compared left and right and
found a difference of 3/8", the rear mount too much inboard.   I also
double-checked with a club member's car  and with a chassis blueprint I got
from Larry Varley's site.  http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/healeydraw.html
The blueprint is from a 6 cyl but as Rich indicated the front-suspension is
identical.  I'll attach the blueprint to this email.  I printed sections from
this blueprint from within photoshop or gimp in 1:2 scale.  I can re-scan the
blueprint partial print-outs and email them to you if you like.  They should
print out ok on a regular printer, I can also post copies in the mail.  My
measurements are on there as well.

The new mounts and shock plate were tacked
on the frame, the whole front suspension (shock and a-arms, swivel, kingpin,
hub) mounted and camber/caster measured.  When we were happy with the setup,
it was welded in place.  After paint retouch the left suspension went on fine
this time.  Note there are 2 holes in the shock tower, you should be able to
put a suitable rod through the front mount, tower and rear mount.  This might
have been used to jig or double-check at the factory.  It was impossible to do
this on my car before the fix.

Best of luck,

Bert