[Healeys] cable throttle kit

Freese, Ken Ken.Freese at Aerojet.com
Wed Aug 10 11:00:25 MDT 2011

Ira,
I am still looking for the pictures of the kit on the car. I could have sworn
I ran across them last week when looking for something else. Otherwise I can
take a picture of some of the stuff loose but it will look like Welch's
catalog photo if there is one.
There is a V bracket that attaches to the lower carb studs so that the point
of the V is between the carbs and pointed to the ground. The point of the V
holds the cable outer end. This bracket may or may not interfere with the carb
heat shield.
Having the cable run under the carbs can be an issue with the cable touching
headers or exhaust manifolds and kinking.
The other problem is the new lever that has the pinch bolt. I think to keep
the pinch bolt tight enough to keep from slipping would require a wrench
access that can't be done with my Kirk headers. I had a lot of trouble with
slipping and stranding me a couple of times. I eventually custom made a wrench
and used a socket head screw as the pinch bolt.
Figuring out where to put the cable bracket at the pedal end is also trial and
error, there are no instructions. I think it requires drilling holes in the
pedal box.
The other problem was trying to get full travel at the carbs with the length
of the lever at the pedal. A lot of trial and error with limited access for
tightening. I had to make up a geometric diagram to translate movement at one
end and how much movement that gave me at the other end.
This all started because my brand new Burlen HD8's seemed drilled for a Jag
and not a BJ8.
I think a cable coming over the top of the engine and a pinch bolt/lever that
is attached inside the car to the pedal would be a better design.
Ken Freese
BJ8