[Healeys] gas - natural gas

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 29 18:15:56 MDT 2011

This may not be relevant to the current discussion but I did have experience
with a dual fueled vehicle.

Back in 1983, natural gas was not a readily available alternative to
gasoline but propane was.  I purchased a Chevy G20 (1/2 ton) van that
operated on either gasoline or propane.  The van had 138,000 miles on the
odo when I purchased it.  It was modified as a camper and I drove it to
Alaska and back.  Propane was the primary fuel and only switched to gasoline
when the propane tank ran dry.  Due to reduced use, 700 miles in two years,
I donated the van to a local charity in 2007.  It had 216,550 miles on the
odo.  The engine was never overhauled or caused any mechanical failures in
all that time.  Oil consumption was about one quart between 3,000 mile
changes.  Fuel consumption was about the same on either fuel.  In the
beginning, propane was cheaper than gasoline but gradually increased to the
price of gasoline or higher.  The primary advantage of the propane was
easier starting than gasoline - never used the choke -  and extended engine
life due to the cleaner burning fuel.

The lack of readily available natural gas fueling facilities will probably
be the thing that delays its future use.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031