[Healeys] removing wire harness

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 17:59:16 MDT 2011

Ira,

I replaced the harness in our '62 BT7 back in 2006.  There were several
areas where the new harness (British Wiring/Auto Sparks) did not match
the original.  I'm not sure how accurate the schematics are in the
workshop manual.  Although I was working on a '62, the schematic for the
100-6 was better for some areas.

1) Eyelets for the fuel gauge and the overdrive switch are too large.
Original ones were probably BA-4.  Bought some 1/8" all steel at the
hardware store.

2) As you noted, the sockets for the gauge and dash lighting are not
original.  On the new harness, two sockets were not included. You'll
also have to re-use the original turn signal socket - the supplied
plastic socket won't work.

Rich Chrysler wrote me: "There are two different styles of bulb sockets
for your car.

Two have the little bronze spring arm for grounding the socket to the
wrap around instrument mounting bracket ring.  A third of this same
style but with two wires att'd. is for the turn signal warning lamp.

The other style has many little prongs around the perimeter of the two
sockets that snap into the holes in the speedo and tach casing for
illumination (red and white wire), and the other two go into the
ignition (white and yellow wires) and hi beam (blue with white, and
black sockets respectively.

All take the same screw type bulb."

3) From John Loftus: There are two OD harnesses available - the long
white wire is either 14 strand (16 gauge) or 28 strand (14 gauge).  28
strand is original and at the time, a special order.  Easiest to install
this harness when the engine/gearbox are not in the car.

4) The leads to the flasher unit are too short or don't exit the loom at
quite the right spot and the eyelets are the wrong size.  Reused the
originals.

5)  There are three red wires in the boot harness that attach to the
chassis harness with a double connector.  One of the red leads ought to
be longer than the other two to reach the other end of the double connector.

6) I don't know if the three way connector for the windscreen wiper
motor is available new or not.

7) The braid/loom for the headlight dimmer switch did not extend far
enough.  The harness was 2" longer than the original, so I shortened the
leads so the braid went through the grommet at the dimmer switch
mounting bracket.

8) Seems like the leads for the front turn signal lights were shorter
than OE, but I may not have routed them correctly.

FWIW,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php