[Healeys] removing wire harness

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 24 16:01:26 MDT 2011

I've replaced a harness 'in situ.'  Couple things come to mind:

- there's a clip on the transmission housing (somewhere) that you probably can't R&R with the drive train in.  I just
tie-wrapped the new harness to the clip until I had the engine/transmission out
- replace one connection at a time; i.e. remove the old terminal, match to new one, connect the new one, go to next ...
- cut the old harness anywhere it's convenient (unless you have a good reason to save it)
- the special pliers for joining connectors really help, and assure a better connection
- might as well replace all the 'Lucar' connectors while you're at it (they're not hugely expensive).  Or, at least
squeeze the old ones with pliers because they've been 'sprung' at least once
- good idea to put dielectric grease in the connectors; it keeps water out and corrosion down
- hopefully, you have a good schematic; you'll want to refer to it for sure (appendix in shop manual, or someone on the
List was selling them)

Have fun!

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net