[Healeys] Loud Metallic Click

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Sat Apr 23 06:52:33 MDT 2011

G'day

Here is something to get your collective minds around.

Yesterday morning we were 560 kilometres from home in the BN3 having just
crossed some many kilometres of featureless plains and semi dessert. We
arrive in a large town looking for fuel and then suddenly an audible
clanging sound emanates from the engine. We immediately pull over to
investigate and despite much head scratching nothing significant can be
found. I disconnect the fan belt and also eliminate a rocker hitting the
rocker cover.

Six and a half hours of sitting in the back seats of a tilt tray truck we
arrive back home.

Today I removed the rocker cover and all valves are opening correctly, plus
the noise is still there. So what do we think the noise is? Oil pressure is
still good, so it probably isn't a slipped big end. It is definitely not
coming from the gearbox.

Without taking the engine out, my guess is a broken crankshaft. What's
yours?

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Sydney, Australia