[Healeys] Headlight fusing - was Inline fuses

Raymond A Carbone racarbon at verizon.net
Thu Apr 21 18:58:43 MDT 2011

Hi All,

After installing an alternator a number of years back, I installed three (3)
relays on the inside of the access panel in the passenger wheel well to power
my High/Low and Driving lights.  I Connected the relays directly to the Bat
tap on the alternator with 10 gauge line and installed a 20 amp in-line fuse
as a main.  I then placed 10 amp in-line fuses on each 14 gauge relay output
lines to protect L/R High beam, L/R Low beam, and Driving light power.  To
totally isolate the lighting system (Head Lights, Driving Lights, Tail Lights,
Panel Lights) from all other circuits, I disconnected the light switch power
line from the ignition switch and sourced a new power line just past the 20
amp main.  Since standard wiring is much lower in gauge, power through the
light switch to the tail, panel and dip switch is protected by a separate 10
amp fuse.  Some may think this is overkill ...  maybe so. However, with the
upgraded gauge wiring and fuse protection, I see no difficulty going to any
upgraded lighting (i.e. 100W Head lights popular in Europe).

Ray Carbone (64BJ8P1)