[Healeys] Gearbox

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 16 15:26:31 MDT 2011

Chris:  "...That's how they wear out (apparently) -holding the gearstick,
and thus
wearing the selector fork)...".

I heard that years ago at a tech session.  Made sense with the brass of the
fork rubbing against the steel of the gears.  I have adhered to that policy
and believe that it has paid off as I believe that I have very little 'slop'
in my shift lever at over 168,000 miles on the original forks.

Gergo:  "...Now the gearstick has approx 8 to 10 mm free play...".

That's about 3/8th of an inch.  Is that at the top of the gear shift knob
between 1st and 2nd or between 3rd and 4th with the engine off?  I don't
have any comparisons except against my BJ8 but it seems to me that 8 to 10
mm would be more than "acceptable".

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031