[Healeys] Overdrive fails to engage consistantly

Peter Schauss rpschauss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 14:57:37 MDT 2011

You can adjust the overdrive inhibitor switch by adding or removing
the washer(s)
between the switch and the gearbox case.  In your case, it sounds like
you need a
thinner washer or no washer at all, if, indeed, the switch is causing
the problem.

As an additional bit of information, I have found that the replacement
switches from Moss
need to be pushed in farther than the originals in order to work
properly.  On initial installation,
(on my MGB which uses the same part), I had to remove the washer.
After a few thousand
miles, the switch had worn to the point where it would not complete
the circuit at all.

HTH,
Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7