[Healeys] MGC vs Healey

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 08:47:37 MDT 2011

OK Charley, you asked for it. Just off the top of my head.

*Interior:* Compare a BJ8's interior with any MGB. The BJ8's interior, with
it's wooden panels, and switch panel is much nicer than any MG.  The C has
no glove box. I has what is called an "Abingdon Pillow." A large padded lump
where the glove box should be. Ugly.
             No center console. You, could, and I searched until I found
one, get an aftermarket console with a small storage compartment.

*Engine:* Here is where things went terribly wrong. The Healey engine was
given to a group of developers and told to make it smaller and lighter. It
came back heavier and larger, and with less power!. That caused many
problems. No room for lever shocks, so they used tube shocks In front. . NO
ROOM FOR FRONT SPRINGS! They kluged up two torsion rods to take up the task.
No one now knows how to adjust them.

*Handling:* With that large lump in front, and the strange suspension, the
tendency to roll and overseer is freightening. The first time I made as
sharp right turn I nearly panicked. A stiffer roll bar and adjustable Spaxe
tube shocks all 'round helped, but I had to play with front/back tire
pressure to get it under control.
                 With all that weight in front they had to adjust the
steering. They made it 3.5, lock to lock as opposed to an MG's 2.5. I was
able to get an aftermarket "quick rack" to reduce it it 2.5. Works much
better, but the effort to turn at slow speeds is much higher, just what they
wanted to avoid. It is worth the steering effort to have the quick rack.

I'm sure I can eventually think of more.Some time ago I pointed out an
article by someone in Australia who spent much time and money constantly
revising his C.

To sum up, the Healey handles better, the interior is much nicer, and has a
lot more power. The C is a bit of a dog, but can be tamed. The large lump
called an engine makes it a great car for superhighway travel. I have driven
it over 950 miles in 18 hours without much strain. I have also driven it
from Downers Grove to Minneapolis, then to Portland Oregon, where it now
resides.

There is also a difference between deigning a car to your own genius and
working for an arrogant owner. Now matter how much of an automotive genius
you are like Sid Enever or Alec Issigonis, (designer of the Mini) they were
hampered by working fors omeone else who payed the bills. Donald and Geoff
Healey was able to design a car without interference. Granted when they
teamed up with With Austin they had to make some compromises, but they were
minor compared with what the MG folks had to put up with.

If I had to get rid of one car it would be the C, and keep the Healey and
much modified MGBGT.

Jack