[Healeys] oil pressure relief valve

Dave Porter frogeye at porterscustom.com
Thu Sep 30 18:53:08 MDT 2010

..oil pressure gauges on the whole are pretty dumb, that is to say there is
no computer doing millions of computations that are causing the needle to
flutter a bit.
 There are, however, a number of reasons. The pressure relief spring is the
most likely to weaken and cause this by a flutter of the seal in the bore. A
single worn bearing on the crank, cam or rocker shaft. A slightly larger gap
on one side of the pump housing might do it.
 I would be more concerned with the volume being distributed than with total
pressure. It takes very little pressure to distribute the lubricant
throughout the engine, in fact too much pressure will erode the bearings,
though I've never seen direct evidence of it happening.
 And yes, I bleed the pressure sending line if it's been apart..
IMO,
dave

frogeye at porterscustom.com

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE