[Healeys] Oil pressure

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 07:52:15 MDT 2010

Hey Jerry,
Agreed  but Not on a rebuilt engine.
That's 9 lbs at 900rpm on a stock rebuilt Healey.
Mark,
Ok. Confession time.
My Bj8 was the most expensive engine rebuild I've ever been through.
And by far the most hp per litre, and reliable.
And by far the best to drive - for the past 12 years.
But I've had my fair share of $200 engine rebuilds in sprites 100/4s
and 3000s. I've done my fair share of the second hand pistons, the
copper tube wrapped in wetn'dry bore crosshatching; the wetn'dry crank
linishing, old cams, and the turn the rocker shaft upside down, hit it
with an angle grinder, and carve out the appropriate holes.
But if you play these games, you need to understand oil pressure
springs, shimming them, and lapping the valve to the block.
You have time, or money. Or both.
If you have neither.... Forget it.
Many years ago, I raced a Bugeye Sprite. 1220cc. Hillman Imp pistons,
a later ribcase gearset in a smooth casing, and a 948 block.
Impossible. But I had time. And no money.
It was very quick - on a budget no one believed. My "best" engine was
under $200. Way under. It had the best used bearings I could find....
I balanced stuff on digital scales from work. I read books. I used
high tensile cap head bolts from army disposal.
Now? I use proper stuff. I don't have the time I had when I was a
student.
Longwinded?
Pull the oil pressure relief valve, look at the light gray sealing
ring on the sealing face. Is is sealing? Shim the spring. Fit the best
quality filter your pocket can afford.
Did that help?
Put penrite HPR 40 in your engine.
Not good enough? Use HPR50
Oil pressure is about oil. And pressure.
Check both.
Sincerely.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone