[Healeys] Distributor

S and T Miller stmiller96 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 25 06:10:12 MDT 2010

Yesterday I drove up to North Jersey (3 hrs each way) to help out a fellow
AHSTC member who hasn't been able to drive his 3000 in 2 years.  In test
driving his car, he had a VERY loud "gun shot" type backfire when you tried to
maintain a speed under very little load.  Also a slight miss at various times.
I went through everything- adjust carbs, checked ign wires, timing, etc.  He
previously sent the dist. to Advance dist and had it rebuilt and installed the
Pertronix electronic ignition (with adv dist good rotor).  Finally I swapped
out the dist. with another, standard points/ cond dist. and it ran great. I
only swapped out the dist. and not the cap and wires.  I also used the good
(adv dist) rotor in both circumstances.  So it has to be the dist body that
was rebuilt or the Pertronix ign.  I did check to make sure the Pert. ign was
installed per the instructions and checked the weights and springs in the dist
and everything seemed fine.   Also his car is pos ground the the Pertonix ign
system was for the pos ground car.  Any thoughts?

Good news is that he can use the car for now until he has to return the
borrowed dist to another AHSTC member.
Thanks, Shawn

The Millers
"British Car Nuts"

1957 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 35299

1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 77219

1964 MGB 40841

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite AN5 34351

"Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a test
drive."