[Healeys] Intermittent OD:the answer

Jim LeBlanc jim_leblanc at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 17:40:29 MDT 2010

Your solenoid will burn out after a few hours, if you fail to correctly set
the rise and fall of the plunger. Follow the procedure to set the overdrive
"operating valve".

The correct adjustment requires loostening the 1/4 inch bolt with a 7/16
wrench on the 1/4 inch shaft running thru the overdrive. The book calls for
the valve to rise 1/32 of an inch. When trhe valve is up, the solenoid plunger
needs to be all the way up the solenoid body. In the top of the solenoid,
there is a tiny switch that shuts off one of the two internal coils. Failure
to get the plunger all the way up keeps the second coil activated resulting in
premature coil burn-out.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M