[Healeys] OD Design Flaw? (was Munched Overdrive?)

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Mon Sep 20 07:33:26 MDT 2010

As stated previously, the mechanic is wrong. A properly set up overdrive will
drop out of overdrive (even if the OD switch is left on) when first, second or
reverse gear is selected & will also drop out when the ignition key is turned
off, even if the OD switch is on & the transmission is in third or fourth
gear.
Gary Hodson

----- Original Message ----- From: <wilkmanracing at aol.com>

> I do have one other question for the group. When I had my trans and OD
> rebuilt about 10 years ago, the rebuilder told me to make sure the OD is
> disengaged before the car is parked. I believe he also mentioned that I
> should not back the car up if I forget to do this, as it could destroy the >
OD.
> My question is this: Why would something as simple as leaving an OD >
engaged
> cause such havoc. I'm pretty mechanically wise, but I'm sure a lot of >
Healey