[Healeys] Overdrive Munched?

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 21:21:18 MDT 2010

If you can't get it to go in and out of overdrive, (ie drive on the
open road and select overdrive, but it doesn't go in and out) then it
may already be stuck in overdrive.
If so - jack the car up & support
it correctly.

Get your knockoff hammer, and get underneath.

Hit the steel plate in the centre area of the alloy overdrive body a few
times with your knockoff  hammer. Sharp raps rather than belting - you
can't
get a big swing anyway, and you don't need one.

Now take it down, and go for a drive & see if you can select overdrive
now.  Once
its out of overdrive.

The overdrive springs sometimes get stuck - its the springs that
release it.
Try it Bill. Maybe it isn't mashed. At least try to release overdrive
clutch before you pull it.

Good luck

Best

Chris