[Healeys] Oil Changes

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 23:01:22 MDT 2010

In a message dated 9/12/10 2:33:33 PM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Bill,
>
> That is a very true statement when talking about today's modern engine and
> filters, but in these 50 year old designs, 3000 mile oil and filter
> changes
> a should be performed. It's cheap insurance compared to engine wear
> resulting in rebuild work.
>
> Rich

It's so much fun to know that the old chestnuts never die, new owners come
along every year to ask them again. Makes us oldsters feel wanted.
Interestingly, it always takes us the same amount of time to work up to the right
complete answer.

On an older car, if you drive the car regularly, Rich is right.   Change
the oil every 3,000 miles.

However, If you're like many of us, and the car can go many months with
little use in an off year with other things going on in our lives, then the oil
and filter should be changed annually, at the end of the regular driving
season, regardless of how many miles you've driven since the last oil change.

I can give you at least four good reasons: First, you should always give
your car a once-over every year, anyhow. Second, as Rich notes, it's cheap
insurance to keep the car drivable. Third, if a car is going to sit for some
period of time before being driven again, it's best that the oil be fresh and
clean. Fourth, with the uncertainties of life, you never know when you put
the car away how long it will sit once you've put it away, or whether you
will ever take it out again. Fresh oil means that there won't be any impurities
in the oil to add to the problems that will have to be dealt with when the
car is driven again.

Let's see, that should take care of this topic until fall 2012. Unless
someone wants to argue this point unnecessarily.

Gary