[Healeys] Tachometer? or tachometer cable?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 14:07:57 MDT 2010

Probably in the tach itself. Usually, a problem in the cable manifests as a bouncy needle.

Pull out the cable and sheath, clean both thoroughly, lightly lubricate the cable--some like grease, Ed likes graphite, some like nothing, I like silicone oil--and replace. If no change it's almost certainly in the tach.

The cable turns a magnet, which couples to a metal cup/disk which rotates the needle. Anything sticks or hangs up the needle will misbehave. You could have had grease or oil work its way up the cable into the delicate mechanism and harden and/or mix with dust and turn to a low-grade glue.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

hi all

sometimes my tach, at idle, reads around 800rpm and other times it reads
around 2,000rpm (so, once you accelerate, at times it reads the correct rpms,
and at other times it seems to read about 2,000rpms too high)..............

is it more likely to be the tach itself, or the cable???B B B

any quick tests that your basic MECHANICAL IDIOT can do to eliminate one or
the other?

tks, ray (the mechanical idiot himself)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!