[Healeys] How to de-seize a brass tap?

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 17:46:47 MDT 2010

Robert,

I have rebuilt dozens of these over the years, and they are not that
difficult.  First of all don't worry too much about the cotter pin.  I
usually replace these anyway with a brass one, but stainless steel will work
also.  As far as the spring goes, I try to save these but they're not that
hard to replace.

First soak the pin in solvent (PB Blaster, Kroil, etc...) and see if you
can't remove it intact, but if not then I've had good luck with driving the
remains of the pin out with a very small drift.  Last resort is to carefully
drill it out.  I have found the correct size brass cotter pins to replace
the originals.

Next is the spring.  I will first soak it in mild acid if rusty then clean
with a wire brush.  If it's good I will then re-plate it at home (Caswell's
Copy Cad.)  If too far gone, I fine the appropriate diameter spring with the
correct tension (any good hardware store should have a selection), and then
cut it to size with a pair of cutters and then grind the ends flat on my
grinding wheel.

The handle can be repaired/made from scratch and replaced, but it looks like
you've already buggered up the end with metal eating tools, i.e. vice grips
:-(  I can talk you through this process but it's a bit more involved.  I
actually turned a new handle on my drill press with a piece of brass stock
and some files.

The brass pieces I clean in warm distilled white vinegar (5-6% acidity) for
about 4 hours and then get them shiny with #0000 steel wool and hot soapy
water.

I reassemble using a bit of water proof grease and the result should look
like new, provided of course some PO didn't bugger the the brass up with a
pair of pliers or worse.

Cheers,

Curt.

I can send photos if your interested.  If you can't restore one of these,
then leave your Healey repairs/restoration to a pro.