[Healeys] BJ8 Transmission problem

Rod Shepherd rodshepherd at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 27 05:26:29 MDT 2010

Good evening all,

A club member here in Oz is trying desperately to have a LONG TERM
restoration back to driveable condition.

We are experiencing a strange problem with the transmission/overdrive.

Unknown to us at this present moment is the time since Clutch, Transmission
and Overdrive were installed and indeed what repairs (if any) were carried
out.

I would expect that gearbox and overdrive would have been overhauled, but am
not certain to date.

Our initial thoughts regarding driveability were that the clutch simply
required a bleed and this would fix problem.

This we did and we drove the car a short distance (probably 1 kilometer) and
all seemed fine.

However when we decided to drive the car after lunch and REVERSE into its
garage, it seems as though the clutch is not fully engaging and there is
little power being experienced at the rear wheels, combined with some
strange noise emanating from gearbox.

We can select 1,2,3 and 4th gear and drive car forward easily, but 'she'
doesn't like reverse at all

Anybody have any thoughts, we do plan on pulling the transmission next week
if we have to.

Rod Shepherd (AHOC of Qld.)