[Healeys] Autumn Classic Trends

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 15:39:22 MDT 2010

In a message dated 10/19/10 6:19:50 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> > I just returned form the Autumn Classic in Morgan Hill, CA, an all
> British
> > event. ( it rained constantly but we all had a good time. The ride home
> was
> > 5
> > hours of heavy rain). We were informed this was to be the last one after
> 18
> > years. The numbers of attendees was 25% from what was needed to break
> even.

it may be worth noting that, like the erstwhile Palo Alto British Car Show,
the Autumn Classic was the work of one (count him, one) individual who did
all the organization, planning, publicity, announcing, award-giving, and
credit-taking. No slight on that -- all the rest of us benefited from it for as
long as that individual was willing to invest the time and effort for
whatever return he personally got.
HOWEVER, as someone once said, in triumph is sown the seeds of defeat. When
one person runs the show, no one else is prepared to step up to the mark,
and there's no continuity. Furthermore, when that person has decided what the
CORRECT format is for that show, it never changes and eventually it does
stagnate. My experience with both of the local shows is that the organizer was
never receptive to new ideas, and tended to push people away who wanted to
make any changes.
By contrast, continuing successes like Portland, Vancouver, and Maryland,
have been run by rotating committees for many years, bringing fresh
enthusiasm to the party each year, as well as new ideas that add something innovative
each year. That's the recipe that works.
So, from among all the clubs that did participate in the Morgan Hill show,
surely each club could delegate two people to a committee (the model that
Portland uses) that could begin right now to lock in the venue -- it is a nice
show in a nice area, with nice driving roads nearby -- and make plans for
something that preserves the good stuff and adds some new stuff.
There's no reason the show needs to die just because the organizer has
finally burned out and the show is starting to show signs of too many years with
the same format.
Gary