[Healeys] Rear breaks locking

Magnus Karlsson magnuskarlsson at bornet.net
Mon Oct 18 00:16:58 MDT 2010

It can be very dangerous if the rear wheels lock up before the front.
Unfortunately fixing the servo won4t cure that condition.

If you assemble a Healey brake system today, correctly and with all new parts,
you will find that in most cases the rear brakes lock before the front
ones. I think that most people never actually test this and thus are not aware
of the problem. I don4t know if it was the same when the
cars were new and different materials were used in the brake pads and linings.
I have tried to make the companies supplying parts
aware of this problem but had no response. I have also mentioned the problem
on this list several times without getting much attention.

Magnus Karlsson
www.concourshealeys.com

18 okt 2010 kl. 02.42 skrev Greg Mandas:

> On my Sunday drive I had occasion to lock up the brakes. A person in the on
coming lane was in a hurry to turn left and since I wasn't tailgating it must
have appeared there was enough of a gap to shoot.  For anyone from
Connecticut, I was on RT-25 southbound at RT-136, in Stepney. Nuff said.

> The rear wheels locked and the fronts didn't. The brake booster on my BJ8
isn't working, so the brakes are functional but hard.  I'm figuring the lack
of a functional booster isn't a factor.