[Healeys] Brakes

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Oct 17 13:56:35 MDT 2010

Hi, Paul -
If the vacuum piston in the canister fits too tightly, then there is too
much friction between the piston seal and the wall of the canister for the
piston return spring to push the piston back out as quickly as it should.
This can cause a delay in brake release.  The original piston seal was
leather, and it had a foam rubber packing to press it against the canister.
Rebuild kits (at one time, anyway) had a foam rubber packing piece that was
too large in diameter and thus made the seal fit too tightly.  This caused
the same problem that you're having when I rebuilt my booster, but that was
quite some time ago.  The inside of the canister was also supposed to have a
solid-film lubricant applied to reduce friction with the piston seal.
I do not know if "new" boosters have the same design as the original.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA