[Healeys] Healeys] Boot pan to shroud

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Oct 17 08:24:55 MDT 2010

I was going to be pedantic (as usual) and point out that rust IS corrosion, but decided not to.

I think John has a good point, at least in my case. When I separated the pan and the shroud there was a fairly thick layer of iron rust/corrosion on the shroud lip (the lip of the pan was still mostly there). But, I cleaned the rust off with a small sander and the aluminium underneath was in perfect condition.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

John, sorry, but I have to disagree. Aluminium (sorry - aluminum) is the
weakest of the two mating materials and therefore the main problem with this
joint will be the aluminum which will suffer from electrolytic(galvanic)
corrosion. A rust film will form on the steel, but it's the aluminum that
will disappear much faster than the steel. Therefore corrosion is the
problem, not rust.
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432