[Healeys] Where does the bolt go?

Robert Duquette robertduquette at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 15 07:50:13 MDT 2010

I have "shooter's ear".  ( very hard of hearing in the left ear and difficult
to distinguish sounds when background noise is present.  It's also difficult
to determine the direction that a sound came from unless I am facing it. )
 However, I was facing the direction of the sound, and should have been okay.
 I heard it to be low in the engine compartment on the far side from where I
was.  But, it could have been further back, as I figure that the sound has to
come out between the front of the engine and the rad.  The sound was a 'tink'
like a metal object being dropped into a pot from a short distance.  I did not
hear a second sound.  And, I was really paying attention at that point.  My
first thought was that it had fallen onto the spring pan.  It's quite possible
that it first bounced off something like the fan belt or the rad hose.
Last night I thought to look in the spaces where the fan belt meets and exits
the crank pulley.