[Healeys] Just want to vent!

Robert Duquette robertduquette at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 7 07:47:04 MDT 2010

Sounds like he accomplished his goal of raining on your parade, if that was
his intention.  He may have just been teasing you though for driving a Jag
instead of a Healey! ;)
I had no idea what your car looked like, so I googled it and came up with
this:http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z1636/Jaguar-MK-IX.aspx
That's really nice!  ( even had laptop trays built in in the back seat area!!!
:) )

I guess there's at least 2 ways to go at this.
I think your reply was good, except perhaps for the "sheepishly" part.  Keep
the smile on your face and give an enthusiastic "Does it ever!  Just like a
dream come true!"

The other way, is to say "Yes, ... thanks!  They're not like the modern car
though, they require a bit of regular tinkering and maintenance.  Everyone
needs a hobby, I guess.  Keeps me out of trouble."  Perhaps he walks away
believing that he has made the right choice for him and you can feel good
about yourself for not lowering yourself to sniping back at him.  And, really
it hasn't changed your opinion of your car.  So, 2 people happy and the world
is a better place?

Don't let the sniping get to you.  You bought the car to please yourself, not
to please others.  I don't think the intention is to really PO the guy or
you'll just be extremely nervous next time you leave the car unattended in a
parking lot near there.

I once got told ( about my MG ) in a tone that sounded like "poor choice of
car buddy!" )  "I knew a guy with one of these.  He spent half of his time
with it fixing it!"  I replied honestly with a genuine smile and enthusiasm
"That's half the fun!"  And his expression turned to one of understanding and
he smiled.