[Healeys] Bonnet Louver follow-up and a (3rd) question

Roy Bowman ei_timo415 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 05:40:10 MDT 2010

To try to put a finer point on Robert's comments, AH Spares claims,

'"This is an exact replica of the louvered bonnet fitted to most competition
Austin Healey 100/6s and 3000s. Designed to increase airflow in the engine
bay to assist in cooling."

I, like many of you, have had some interest in the Healey lore (as related to
the Marque's competition history), and I can't remember a single example of
a 6-cyl competition Big Healey that was outfitted with such a panel.  In fact,
I just again perused the book "Big Healeys in Competition" by Baggott looking
for one as well.  Maybe one of you out there can refresh my sometimes failing
memory with a page number where such an example is clearly evident.  Perhaps
their phrasing should have been, "This is an exact replica of the
louvered bonnet fitted, on those rare occasions, to competition Austin Healey
100/6s and 3000s."  Side vents in the front wings were prevalent, but "most
competition" 6 cyl cars seems to be blowing proverbial smoke thru their
louvered bonnet.

Roy Bowman
Indianapolis, IN
BJ828985