[Healeys] The AEC960 Healey 3000 Cylinder Head spark plug seat and timing issue

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 20:02:20 MDT 2010

Chris - and the rest of the guys. This is the first I have heard of this spark
plug depth issue. This is now on my radar!!  So, I walked around my shop
tonight and checked a couple of engines. The AEC 960 is the casting/part
number on my original 3000 engine (circa 1959). It is also the same casting #
on my BJ8 cylinder head. I looked at one of my 100-6 heads and the casting #
is AEC 721. As far as I know, the only real difference between the 100-6 and
300 heads was the boss where the water temp bulb screwed into - hence a
different casting #. The chamber volume is the same.
I think that  what you have discovered is a factory machining issue. You
should not compare a BN1 and Sprite head with the AEC960. That's apples and
oranges. You need to compare a BJ8 head with an earlier AEC 960 head. Having
said that, I am not about to pull the head off my BJ8 motor to make any
comparisons.
Westlake designs have nothing to do with the spark plug depth. Westlake is
only responsible for the heart shaped designed of the combustion chamber.
I would really like to hear from others on the list that can confirm this
spark plug depth issue, because I am pretty sure that the castings are the
same - just different machining practices. Then again, I could be wrong.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

msalter at precisionsportscar.com; frogeye at porterscustom.com;