[Healeys] Maybe this is my rattle ...

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 01:48:00 MDT 2010

Robert

Yes and the problem started back on the Austin 16 around 1947. This
bracket was strengthened twice with a strip welded along the generator
side. First a light strip and then a thicker one as we know today.

Belt alignment and not being too tight are important issues that others
have mentioned but the other problem is due to poor or worn belts that
do not run smooth and set up vibration in the generator that eventually
causes metal fatigue in the bracket.

My experience, for what it is worth, is that with a good belt correctly
aligned and fitted will not have problems and alternative brackets are
unnecessary.

Regards

--
John Harper