[Healeys] Engine temps too low.

Dave Porter frogeye at porterscustom.com
Sat Oct 2 11:56:34 MDT 2010

Rich,
 Healeys, due to a big thick and heavy cast iron block and head are
notorious for masking detonation noise (pinging). I can't remember exactly
what the number of total advance that the Austin engine will handle is, but
if you start at 19 and run the car for long periods at around 3000RPM you
ARE exceeding the total advance and you will eventually destroy your
pistons.
 If you set it at 6-8 degrees at 750RPM and it idles well, then it will run
just as good as it does now with TOO MUCH advance.
 Just saying that who ever told you to set your timing that way is dead
wrong. The manuals were written to keep folks from making dumb mistakes when
tuning their cars.
dave

frogeye at porterscustom.com

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE