[Healeys] oil pressure relief valve

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Fri Oct 1 20:25:35 MDT 2010

Pascal's Law states that any increase in pressure in a closed system of
incompressible fluid results in an identical increase in pressure at >>every
point<< in the fluid.  Thus, the small hole in the fitting has nothing to do
with changing the pressure in the system because the pressure will be the
same at any given moment from the oil pump to the gauge. It does not
"dampen" pressure pulses.  Pulses are transmitted equally >>everywhere<<
simultaneously in the closed system.

If all you need to make the gauge work is oil pressure and not oil flow,
then by Pascal's Law the pressure will transfer through a small hole just as
well as through a large one.  However, a small hole in the fitting would
limit the amount of oil lost through it should the flexible line/hard
line/gauge spring a leak because it does present a restriction to flow.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA