[Healeys] Bonnet Louvers

Jim LeBlanc jim_leblanc at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 10:49:15 MDT 2010

Rick,

I personally like the look of louvers and enjoy engine smell coming over the
folded down windscreen.

When you get close to this, let me know I will send pictures and/or cut out
shapes from an original. Meanwhile simple measurements follow:

length 5 inches
opening 1/4 inches
width 3/4 inches

These seem to be standard hot rod louvers circa 1950's. Start with a slit of 5
inches and press it open 1/4 inches. The arcs form from streching the metal.

Both measurements taken from the outside of the arc and from the top of the
opening. All louvers are identical. Measurements are taken from a factory
100-M hood using a serialized boxwood ruler made in England ;-)

Do listen to David when he tells of dirt on your windscreen. Somethings are
best kept inside the engine compartment. as you will immediately know of any
oil or coolant leaks.  Never happened to me, but a sudden amount of coolant or
oil on your windshield would be a driving hazard.

Should you get past the above statement, consider that the louvers weaken the
metal surface. After some miles, expect metal fatigue to crack the metal. No
big deal with either point, just letting you know what to expect.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M (Factory)