[Healeys] Odd issue with axle case

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 28 12:51:35 MST 2010

Oooops. Got my facts confused last night. The axle nut secures the inner race
of the hub bearing onto the axle tube. So, I do not know why there would be a
difference of 1/4" from side to side, unless someone fitted a spacer to the
inside of one bearing to move the hub outward a bit. Perhaps to keep a tire
from rubbing on the inner fender well?
What I was trying to describe in my post last night is that if the spacer
ring, aka distance piece, is left out, the outer race of the hub bearing will
not be properly clamped by the axle flange when things are nipped up. That
will allow the outer bearing race to eventually spin and then allow the outer
bearing race to wear itself into the hub. This will result in massive amounts
of end play and require replacement of the hub.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon