[Healeys] FW: Land rover diesel

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 07:04:21 MST 2010

(Original message bounced. Too big. Forgot to chop off the preceding
messages. Sorry if you get it twice.)

I forget to which Series this string referred originally.
I had a about 50 LRs in my charge. Half LH drive, for Germany, and half RH
drive, for home use. A few were SWBs, the balance being Long Wheel Base. All
were Series II. Or IIa, if I remember correct, which I may not. All were
petrol.
The Steering was not a problem and, if any of them had started to wander, it
would have been sent to Workshops and fixed or sold out.
One aside, be very careful before buying an ex-army SWB LR. Some of them
steer horribly and drive like crabs. That's normally because they've been
strapped to a pallet and shoved out of the back of a Hercules. They'd land
with a frightful wallop, normally driveable off the, destroyed, pallet but
occasionally with a kink in something down below.
We never fitted Fairey hubs....one more thing to go wrong I suppose.
However, most people in UK who have that vintage fit them or find that a PO
has already done so.
(The most vital piece of equipment on our LRs? Starting handle.......idiots
wld use the batteries all night for running ancillaries like comms gear then
wonder why they wouldn't start.)
Simon