[Healeys] Land rover diesel

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Tue Nov 23 00:21:22 MST 2010

I have to dissent here. When properly set up the steering on a Land Rover is
just as precise as any other vehicle of its type and age and much better than
some. The box has to be in good condition, but it is pretty robust being a
recirculating ball unit and is longer lived than the Austin piece, The
steering links, ball joints and idler need to be in good condition, the
steering horns on the front steering balls have to be tight and the bolts
holding the mounting plate which attaches the box to the chassis and the
bulkhead have to be secure. With those conditions met There will be no
tendency to wander and  I think you will find that the LR is quite stable and
roadworthy (at a certain speed, my Series I is all the fun you can have at 50
MPH). I have driven LRs extensively in the Colorado Rockies and found that the
only down side is long ascents on the highway. Don't get impatient, you will
eventually top out. Climbing to the Eisenhower tunnel during one trip in my
old Series IIA I could have let the kids out to play in the snow. On the down
slope however it would keep up with the traffic easily at 70 MPH or more
(what's a little over-revving among friends?) and was very stable,
controllable and secure. Treat the old gal right and she will show you a good
time... Wink, wink, nudge,nudge, you know what I mean?
Bill Lawrence