[Healeys] Speedo

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 18:46:32 MST 2010

Simon -

First remove the speedometer and set it up where you can see the speedo
cable through the speedo mounting hole.

Be sure the cable is pushed all the way in the sleeve and then take the car
for a drive.  If the cable spins, likely something is wrong with the speedo
and it needs rebuilding.

If the cable doesn't spin, I suspect the little 1" to 2" cable that is
in-between the cable drive and the gearbox will have snapped.    These
little cables snap all the time, usually due to a missing sealing washer
under the cup.

Even if the cable does spin while driving, it's good to pinch your fingers
on the spinning cable to see if it stops spinning.  If it keeps spinning,
then the problem is your speedo.

My guess it's the little cable between the angle drive and gearbox.

:(

Good Luck,

Alan

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk