[Healeys] 3000 rear main seal adaptor

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Mon Nov 15 18:52:41 MST 2010

My Moss setup originally leaked - I believe this was down the vertical joints between the main bearing cap and the block - where the little felt plugs are.

I pinned the spring into the seal using straight pins - picture here:

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/image/91637854

This makes it easy to hinge the seal around the crank as well as point the spring side toward the inside of the engine.

I also used Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket between the seal holder ends, between the seal holder and the block and between the rear engine plate and the vertical joints mentioned above.

My Moss kit came with metric Allen screws - I replaced them with stainless 10-32s. I was chicken to drill the holes too deep so wound up putting double lockwashers under the Allen screws to get adequate tightness.

While the engine plate was off, sealed the area around the rear cam opening, as well. Pix in the above photo link.

PS - Healey Surgeons has the felt plugs - just ask for the "tampons".

Ken Rocke had a good idea - get a couple of extra tampons, cut all 4 into quarter-inch sections, coat them with permatex silicone, then push them up into the holes with a punch. He says doing it that way takes more than just the one on each side. I haven't tried it but it sounds like a good idea.

--
Steve Gerow
BN6