[Healeys] Driving light wiring

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 14:09:40 MST 2010

According to at least one source (http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm), 14AWG is good for 32 amps.  Somewhere on
the lights or their packaging there should be a rating for their current draw--if it's in watts, divide by 12 to get the
current--e.g. if one light is rated at 100W, the current draw would be a little over 8A for one and 16A+ for two.

Voltage rating does matter, above the wire's rating the insulation may break down (I suspect--but can't prove--that part
of the problems with Lucas electrics is below par insulation).  Obviously, 150V is plenty good for a 12V (actually
13-14V) system.  If anything, landscaping wire might be more rugged than some others.  Make sure you wire so that
there's no chafing or rubbing of the wire, and a fuse or two would be a great idea.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net