[Healeys] Dealing with the Highway Patrol

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 17:08:44 MST 2010

The indicated speed was (more-or-less) exactly 11% low, which is what you'd expect going from a 3.91 to a 3.54 rearend.

There's two parts to modifying a speedo for a different rearend: changing the gearing on the tripmeter and odometer and changing the speed readout. The shop did the former, but (apparently) forgot to do the latter. They fixed it no-charge.

I checked the odometer against the roadside markers and it was spot-on, and didn't notice the incorrect speed readout since I didn't have a GPS or other means to calibrate. I've since found helpful websites that will give the expected speed if you plug in gearing and RPMs.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Bob: You left us hanging! How did your GPS speed compare to the rebuilt
speedo? (I won't ask why you didn't know beforehand) ;-)

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031