[Healeys] Hundred Intake Manifold Packing

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 09:25:32 MST 2010

Hi Rich,

when I rebuild my carbs I found packing string that looked
completely like the graphite packing string used by plumbers on faucets, valve
stems, pumps and so on.  I found similar packing locally in the plumbing
section of an Ace hardware store.  item 40209 1/8 in. by 24 in.  Looks like an
impregnated twisted cord.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=40209

When I looked
it up I learned graphite packing forms a seal when under pressure and resists
chemicals (gas) and high temperatures, so it sounded perfect for the job.  I
didn't find references on the Healey list or car forums though.

Still have to
fire up the car though and no idea if this was factory original or result of a
rebuild.  Maybe other with more plumbing experience can chime in but I will
try this route hopefully soon if I don't hear of bad experience with this
product.

Bert

--- On Fri, 11/12/10, Rich Chrysler
<richchrysler at quickclic.net> wrote:

> From: Rich Chrysler
<richchrysler at quickclic.net>
> Subject: [Healeys] Hundred Intake Manifold
Packing
> To: healeys at autox.team.net
> Date: Friday, November 12, 2010, 2:13
PM
> Hello all,
>

> I have been searching with no success for the
packing gland
> that fits into
> the chamfered balance pipe fitting on the
Hundred inlet
> manifold. Moss
> refers to it as part number 021-906 but lists
it as NA (not
> available) which
> means little.
>
> Can anybody help? I