[Healeys] Bozos on the Bus

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 11:09:29 MST 2010

In a message dated 11/10/10 8:23:39 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Just watched the "Chasing Classic Cars" episode entitled "Road Trip" on
> HD
> Theater last night.  The bus was the featured vehicle on Wayne's trip
> up the
> California coast to the Monterey vintage races.  Along the way,
> Wayne stopped
> to show it off to Jay Leno, who took it for a test drive.
> Interestingly,
> Wayne had bought the bus for $50k and was trying to sell
> it for $95k.  Bus
> looked in great shape

The bus seems to be in reasonable shape (Tracy and I saw it at Monterey),
but some conversations among a few knowledgeable folks suggests that it was
not a BMC Training Bus, but rather one of the buses used to transport the
Mini Coopers in a whirlwind round-the-country demo tour the first year they
were on the market. (three pro drivers -- I believe Stirling Moss, Denise
McCluggage, and Innes Ireland, but that's off the top of my head -- drove them
at
various tracks around the country).
In any case, the interior of the bus is completely stripped out except for
vehicle hold-down rails along the floor, but the only opening is through a
door in the side, that would have been big enough for a Mini but not for
anything larger. There is no opening in the tail, as there would have been for
works race car hauler, and there's no evidence that there was ever any
interior in the bus of any sort.
Best
Gary