[Healeys] Jensen-Healey?

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Nov 8 02:30:59 MST 2010

I have owned a Jensen Healey since 1977. The first one I bought with
26.000mls. I did rebuild the (DellOrto equipped) engine when it had done
60.000mls because I had an oil pressure drop which in the end was a
broken oil pressure valve spring. I replaced two burned exhaust valves
and all bearing shells and seals. The crankshaft had no wear on the
journals at all. There was no discernible wear on the pistons or bores.
After that I drove another 100.000mls without ever having to do some
work on the engine except oil changes and the occasional tune up.
However the body was shot in the end and the car ended up in the garage
to be restored in due time in 1985. Engine is still fine but a bit smoky.
Well it is the old story, children, old house to be restored/rebuild,
horses and sports of the children etc. and the car is still in the garage.
Some three years ago a dealer came up to me during an event to ask what
a JH was worth as he had traded in one. One of the club members knew
this car was very solid and rust free.
As it was near my birthday my wife asked me if I knew something for my
birthday a few days later, so I suggested the JH. She told me to have a
good look at it which resulted in that I was presented with this JH on
my birthday. There were a fair few technical problems to attend to: rear
wheel bearings, the radiator and I still have some clutch issues to
solve. We traveled about 8000mls through France, the UK and Italy this
year and I attended numerous local events.

These cars are not the prettiest but the engine is a joy to watch. It is
why I bought the car in the first place.
It is relatively fast (0-60 in under 8s, 120mph), comfortable, easy to
drive, and  holds the road very well. It is a much better car than the
Big Healey (I know...., sorry), there is only one big snag, the
looks!!!! which makes the Big Healey stand out a mile and a bit.

These cars were unreliable and very badly build in the beginning. Around
the end of 1973 things did improve considerably although it still was
not perfect. Many cars have been properly rebuild and most bugs have
been ironed out by now and there are some good cars available for
relatively little money. A top original (concours) car can be had for
less than $15.000 and basket cases go from less than $500.

If you know your stuff most parts can be obtained or repaired for very
little money.
Suspension, steering, brakes by Vauxhall Viva/Firenza/Magnum, engine by
Lotus (build right up to this century), gearbox by Sunbeam (Alpine,
Hunter series) or Getrag (BMW2002tii), electrics by the almighty Prince
of Darkness.
They are very easy cars to work on excepting two jobs: replacing the
exhaust manifold and gaskets and setting the clearances of the exhaust
valves with the engine in situ.

Kees Oudesluijs
JH MkII
LR SIII

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of coudesluijs.vcf]