[Healeys] Customs Duty Invoice

Jaap Aeckerlin j.aeckerlin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 06:15:50 MST 2010

The explanation for the import duties and charges is quite simple. Importing
goods from another country gives rise to a hell of a lot of paperwork, both
for fiscal and for statistical reasons, imposed by the importing country.The
company filling in the customs documents (very often called Customs Agents)
wants to be paid for this work. That's why you you receive a bill for both
import duties and for the work done. The import duties part of the amount is
passed on to the government by the Customs Agent.
For practical reasons there is a bottom limit, often based on the amount of
import duty payable: in such cases the costs of the paperwork are higher
than the amount of import duties, and therefore no charges are levied.
TNT Express, by the way, is one of the largest transporters of parcels
world-wide and is of Australian origin. They do operate, among other
countries, in Holland and in Denmark where TNT bought local parcel
operators.
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432