[Healeys] Tyre life expectancy

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Thu May 27 07:33:30 MDT 2010

Michelin will suggest a thorough inspection on an annual basis after 5
years, and dispose of after 10.
The question is one of the 'how long is a piece of string' ones.  There are
so many variables with tyre construction or types, the use it has over the
1000 miles and the storage conditions for the rest of the year.  If the tyre
is stored with the weight of the vehicle on it, the tyre may keep the
'bulge' at the bottom, if at a slightly low pressure it probably will. If
kept at a high pressure to reduce the bulb it may promote cracks.  Jacking
up may help.  UV from sunlight will degrade the carcase, ozone produced from
nearby electric welding will do the same.  Soft compound tyres will harden
and harder ones may become brittle.  Internal delaminating from standing may
not be visible from the outside and some 'blow outs'  (instantaneous
decompression) are caused by this problem.
Today's tyre construction is a very high tech affair and even alterations in
building humidity affect internal tyre bonding processes.  Some makes I will
not run on at all, some people won't run on a remould tyre but at least the
carcase has been tested for thousands of miles beforehand!  Passenger
aircraft all run on re-moulds with cargo planes getting the new, untested
ones.  So that piece of string is .......... how long?

Guy R Day