[Healeys] Ugh

Mike Slechta mslechta at chartermi.net
Sat May 15 21:17:15 MDT 2010

The significant increase in CO2 emitted & the significant reduction in mpg
aren't the only problems I have encountered with "Ethanol Enriched Fuel".
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have only gotten 10% ethanol gasoline in 1 of
my vintage cars.  It didn't take very long for the alcohol to free up the rust
in the gas tank & eat the rubber in the mechanical fuel pump & carb.  When I
pulled the fuel filter, it was clogged with a rust colored sludge the
consistency of Elmer's Glue.  It also dried out the short transition hoses to
& from the fuel filter.
Not only that, my modern vehicles get a 30% loss in mpg under normal usage &
my truck takes a 40% loss when I'm towing.  It usually takes 3 to 4 tanks of
non-ethanol fuel to get me back to normal.  It is no doubt going to get worse
before it gets better.  There is talk of going to 15% ethanol enhanced fuel.
I agree, "The only winners are bit agri-businesses which are pushing this",
but I think our politicians are getting some benefits from this too.
Mad Mike