[Healeys] Dealer 100 M kit - carbs

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Tue May 4 08:32:57 MDT 2010

Dave, Randy and all interested listers,

The dealers did not make up the 100M kits supplied to Healey 100s in the mid
1950's.  These kits would have been made up and specifically supplied to the
dealer by either Healey at Warwick or BMC and would have been *manufactured
to a set standard*.  As such the carburetors would have been H6's with a
body number of 6040 which was the standard.

I have spoken to Joe Curto at length on this very issue and he gets very
frustrated with folks who tell him that their 100M carburetors MUST be AUC
6040 X,  First, he's seen plenty of original 100M carburetors with the 6040
AA body.  Second he also states that these numbers are NOT what's important,
it's the etched number.

The differences in the specific carb setup are denoted by the hand etched
number below the 6040 number on the carb body, some of which I'll list as
follows...  The 100M carburetors had all (3) of their unused fast idle cam
bosses milled off.  The TR3's have all four of them still intact even though
only one is ever used.  The 100M carburetors had a unique dashpot piston and
part number.  The linkage setup on the 100M carburetors was mirror image of
the TR3 carbs.  As such when converting you'll need to use the brass levers
from a set of Healey 100 H4 carburetors, The float bowls and tops were
different from other carb applications, etc...

BTW these hand etched numbers on the 100M carbs all show evidence by the
style of numbers that they were all etched by the same person, i.e. very
unique 4 and 7 style.  Remember there were 640 documented Factory 100Ms that
were produced at BMC with the louvered bonnet but supposedly, there were
over 1,100 in total which MAY mean that the remaining were Le Mans kits
which may or may not have been installed.

Good friend Gordon Brockman bought a Le Mans kit for his BN2 in '56 and
never installed it.  It sat in his Dad's garage until he passed years ago
and Gordon has no idea what happened to the complete kit.

So if you go to swap meet and you see a set of H6 carbs with Auc 6040 X OR
AA on the bodies AND 6047 and 6053 etched on the bodies, good bet they're
original.

Cheers,

Curt