[Healeys] Healey vs. MGC engine

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Mon May 3 11:18:50 MDT 2010

My son has the MGC in the shop and they claim that the car is sluggish
because it doesn't perform like a Healey.  The recommendation is to replace
the distributor.

I have two questions. One, what could go wrong with a distributor that would
make the car sluggish  I thought the main problem was wear in the shaft that
makes the timing impossible to set. What else could it be?

The second is more of a statement. From what I have read the MGC engine was
a bastardized version of the Healey engine. Heavier and bigger. That means
the car *would* be sluggish compared to a Healey. There are no points of
comparison as far as power and handling as far as I'm concerned. I'm
surprised we didn't hear of Donald Healey rolling on the ground with
uncontrollable laughter when it was suggested to badge C as a Healey.

To sum up: What could go wrong with the distributor, and am I correct in
stating the C would seem sluggish compared to a Healey?

Hopefully there are some dual C and 3000 owners on the list that can verify
my experience.

Thanks as usual,

Jack