[Healeys] Windshield Adjustment & Hardtop

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Mon May 3 11:12:04 MDT 2010

Mirek & Paul,
Wow, I'm amazed that things could be that different from one car/hardtop
combination to another.  My 1960 BT7 with only 14,000 miles from new was
purchased with a hardtop by the original owner.  The second owner who we
bought the car from had never put the hardtop on the car, but since we
took the car to fall Hershey to put in the car corral for sale, the
easiest way to display the hardtop was on the car.  It went right on
with no problem, fitting well all around front and back.
We did have some fitting issues when putting the side curtains on as did
the original owner apparently from the scratches on the aluminum, but
after loosening the fasteners on the curtains after they were in place
on the car and a minor bit of fiddling, all fits quite well now with no
interference anywhere.  Now the doors open and close just like a typical
family sedan with absolutely nothing bashing into anything.
Someone with more knowledge about how things went at the dealer when the
cars were new may dispute this, but the way I imagine it when a customer
wanted a hardtop, one was selected out of a small inventory or ordered
in and paired with the car.  I suspect that the dealers, especially in
Lancaster, PA, didn't have a large number of hardtops in stock to draw
from to find one that fit well.  Perhaps it was just luck in this case.

Charlie

Mirek Sharp wrote:
Paul,

Not to put you off, but be prepared for a struggle fitting the hardtop.
I have had a really hard time getting mine to fit anything close to
acceptable.  However, I am told it is highly variable, and they fit well
on some cars and not on others. I

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of mgcharlie.vcf]