[Healeys] Dunlop racing tyres

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Sun May 2 20:29:20 MDT 2010

Gary, I'm going to wade in here with my thoughts on bias ply racing tires. I
have used Goodyear Blue Streaks and Hoosier Vintage TDs on my Healey for many
many years.  First, I think the sidewall strength is not up to DOT safety
standards. If I am wrong, someone on this list will quickly let us know.
Secondly, racing tires are just made differently than street tires. Here's my
one and only experience with using race rubber on the street.
For a couple of years I raced a 1968 AMC Javelin (SCCA "A" Sedan). One time I
decided to drive to the track on my race rubber. I live in Portland, Oregon
about 10 miles from Portland International Raceway - about 8 miles of which is
freeway driving. I had big Hoosier bias ply racing rubber. Every time I hit a
groove or whatever, the tire wanted to go that way. This does not make for a
good driving experience on the street. Hope this helps with your question.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> To: healeys at autox.team.net
> Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 09:41:24 -0400
> From: warthodson at aol.com
> Subject: [Healeys] Dunlop racing tyres
>
> I have used Dunlop 550L-15 racing tyres on a vintage sports racer for years
&
> am curious about the pros & cons of using them on the street on a replica
> rally car (BJ8). I believe their dimensions are appropriate, they are
treaded,
> they are not a very soft compound by racing standards & I think they would
> look very good on street car. I know the tires say for racing only, but I
> haven't been able to find out why, yet. FWIW, they are a bias ply tire.
Also,
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/mayorrichard@hotmail.com