[Healeys] Buying a car online

Patton Dickson 57healey at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 18:13:56 MST 2010

I am looking for another car (non Healey, its a Saab) to join the Healey in
the toy stable.  I have been looking since mid December, and think I just
found the car I want in Santa Fe.  I have contacted a shop there that has a
good, long standing reputation in the Saab world, and they know the car and
owner pretty well, and will do a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection for
me at a reasonable fee.   The plan WAS, if the pre-inspection goes well and
the price is agreed to, to fly over inspect the car and drive it back (about
10 hours).   The problem is things are starting to come up that may keep my
from flying over and driving back.

The cost to ship is only about $100 more than a plane ticket, 1 hotel room,
then the gas it would take me to make the drive.

If I decide to take the right on buying it without the personal inspection
but rely on the shop inspection, what is the best way to handle the
money/title transfer.  When I did this on the Healey, we just exchanged
fedex's, but I know that was a risk.  Any suggestions to protect that I get
the car and the title if I send the money?

Patton

--
Patton Dickson - http://Austin-Healeys.com - Plano, TX
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Built to run 'til the road wears out."